ClearPath Forward ePortal 8.0: The Next Generation Is Here
When you use the ClearPath Forward™ ePortal, you’re taking advantage of an advanced modernization program that increases the reach and value of your applications by making it easy for you to extend them to a greater number of users, devices, and channels.
We take great care with each new ePortal release to enhance and expand these capabilities, so it’s simple to develop new products and services, get them to market quickly, and realize significant value from your ClearPath Forward application investments.
And ClearPath Forward ePortal 8.0 is no different.
In the latest version of ePortal, we’re introducing enhancements that increase manageability and flexibility, help you do more with your applications’ data, and add more control to your security settings.
Key features include:
- New Management Web Service: In addition to the existing SOAP-based Management Web Service, a new RESTful API based on ASP.NET technology has been added to ePortal 8.0, giving you an alternate means of programmatically accessing equivalent ePortal management functions.
- Third-party component and mobile OS support: Integrations with the latest third-party components – such as Apache Cordova™ and Bootstrap – and mobile operating systems allow ePortal 8.0 to offer the built-in compatibilities you need to take full advantage of contemporary mobile and web technologies.
- Configurable application performance counters: You now have the option to extend the default set of performance counters you normally monitor with specific counters you select based on your shifting requirements.
- Runtime performance data collection: The option to collect runtime performance statistics following a specified sampling interval is included in ePortal 8.0.
- Performance data forwarding: With ePortal 8.0, you’re able to forward a cluster’s performance statistics to the ePortal Agent running on a back-end OS 2200 system, which can then make the data available to custom routines, such as analysis by SIEM tools.
- Certificate management improvements: With the ability to export a server certificate to a .pfx formatted certificate file, you have an additional backup mechanism for any server certificates issued for use in ePortal.
- Additional IIS log file information: Log messages sent to the IIS log now note the Web Partition number and timestamp, making it easier to identify the origin of the messages.
- Security setting configuration: A new security settings interface includes the option to enable TLS 1.0 and 3DES cipher security protocols for the ePortal Manager and Web Clusters.
- Tab index field generation: When creating a presentation project from an Agile Business Suite (AB Suite®) data source, you’ll be able to design the view faster by generating controls in the order of the original tab index.
- COBOL Data Source Orchestration Connect: With the Connect message type added to the ePortal Orchestration feature, you have the runtime flexibility to dynamically specify the host name, window name, and port number of the back-end server your application will target.
- Enhanced COBOL Import Wizard: Bringing a simple user interface to the COBOL Import Wizard in ePortal Developer streamlines the process of importing and maintaining COBOL records for an ePortal COBOL data source project.
A New, Bold Direction
With ePortal 8.0, we’re also revealing a release that promises to chart a bold, exciting new direction for the ClearPath Forward ePortal.
Please welcome ClearPath Forward ePortal Software Edition (ePortal SE).
Reflecting the approach we established with the revolutionary ClearPath Software Series, ePortal SE takes the defining ePortal characteristics and decouples them from the hardware to which they’ve been traditionally tied.
With ePortal SE, you’ll have a software-based version of ePortal that’s comparable to ePortal Business implementations, but can be freely deployed on industry-standard virtualization platforms, including Microsoft® Hyper-V® or VMware® ESX™.
This way, you’ll have even more flexibility to determine how you modernize and extend your applications. You’ll also be able to make ePortal a central component of your software-defined data center. And as a result, you’ll do more with – and get more value from – the investments you’ve already made in your technology and your people.
Please visit our web site to learn more about the exciting updates included in ClearPath Forward ePortal 8.0,
as well as the benefits it delivers in OS 2200 and MCP environments.