Are You Ready for the New BIS Release for ClearPath OS 2200?
Great news, ClearPath® OS 2200 shops! There’s new functionality for the scalable, multimode, rapid application development and information access tool you’ve long relied on to create, organize, and manage your business logic, information, and web assets.
With Business Information Server (BIS) 49R1, you can take advantage of more than 30 new features that work together to help you increase productivity while making sure your business-critical information remains resilient, accessible, and secure.
Highlights of BIS 49R1 include:
- Rearchitected database structure: Extensive restructuring of the BIS database engine helps you make more efficient use of database file space and streamline report updating – especially deferred updates. Audit trail writing has been optimized, as well, while audit trail database recovery now requires only a single pass through the audit data.
- BIS Developer Workshop: BIS 49R1 adds over 15 enhancements to Developer Workshop. Most notable among these is the new Forms Designer. With this feature, you can access a palette of form elements – such as edit box, combo box, image, etc. – drag and drop the elements onto a form, and view a helpful preview that shows what the form will look like when deployed in an application.
- New COLORS Utility: With this simple utility, you can easily configure color preferences related to report displays and messages in the BIS Graphical Interface (GI-BIS).
- Simple sign-on: With the new simple sign-on capability, an enhancement to the existing Domain Name Logon (DNL) feature, you can authenticate to a BIS server from GI-BIS without specifying the domain credentials. You’ll improve security by eliminating the need to store domain credentials on users’ workstations, as well as the requirement to sync up those credentials when a user’s domain password changes.
- IPv6 Support: Updates to the BIS network communication interfaces allow you to run the solution in environments that support the IPv6 protocol, helping you take advantage of greatly expanded device address space and stronger security measures.
- User interface modernization: BIS 49R1 modernizes many existing end-user and administrator utilities with GUIs, making them more intuitive for new developers – without sacrificing any current capabilities.
- New statistical analysis library: Using this library of callable subroutines, you can submit data sets and receive answers, or analyze the data and then feed it into user applications. When you do, you’ll be able to analyze trends and create forecasts using moving average, moving median, simple linear regression, and exponential smoothing techniques.
- New OPTIONS directive: The new BIS Script (“MAPPER Run”) OPTIONS directive allows you to selectively enable and disable specific script parser behaviors. This feature allows BIS application developers to easily take advantage of new parser capabilities while maintaining backward compatibility with BIS 48R1. It also improves script compatibility with BIS on Microsoft® Windows® and Linux® platforms. Though the directive will be expanded in future releases, in BIS 49R1, you can use it to enable temporary variable value reformatting, reserved word value substitution in the output area, and implicit option setting on the Load Variable statement.
- Upgraded Script Editor Utility: The Script Editor Utility receives upgrades that leverage the BIS Developer Workshop framework, giving it a modernized look and feel.
BIS 13R1 and 13.1 are also available! BIS 13R1 is qualified for 64-bit versions of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 7 and SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server 12. BIS 13.1 is qualified for Microsoft Windows 2016.
These new features build on the rich development tools and scalable runtime system that have long been BIS hallmarks. With its ability to access data just about anywhere, along with an extensive suite of data extraction, analysis, and summarization functions, BIS is ideal for turning raw data into real information.